Published: 16 Oct 23
Collection vehicle fire caused by lithium battery
We would like to remind residents not to put batteries in your rubbish or recycling bin. Recently, a lithium battery in one of the collection vehicles caused a fire, prompting the fire services to respond and affecting our collection service.
The cost to repair the vehicle, which is still in the garage, is over £17,000.
Batteries, as well as gas canisters and helium tanks can explode and cause a fire inside the vehicle. This also creates a risk to the safety of the collection crew and the fire service.
To dispose of:
• Batteries, including e-cigarette batteries - put them in a small, tied sandwich bag next to your bin on your collection day. Your local community recycling centre and supermarkets also accept them.
• Small electrical appliances and power tool batteries - put them in a tied carrier bag next to your bin on your collection day.
• Gas canisters and helium tanks - make sure it is completely empty and contact the shop or supplier you bought it from to find out if they will take it back or take it to your community recycling centre.